With a new presidential administration and a flurry of legislative activity this spring, several major pieces of legislation will have profound impacts on both metals producers and metals buyers. We have covered many (though not all) of these issues. Several more pieces of legislation will undoubtedly have enormous impacts including health care reform, card check and product liability. We have reported extensively on the cap and trade legislation as follows:
- Cap and TradeTime for a Look See Into HR 2454
- A Look at the GDP Impacts of Cap and Trade
- Cap & Trade Metal Industries Very Divided on Legislation
- One Clause in Cap and Trade We Can Support
In addition, the very popular Cash for Clunkers program has also generated enormous reader response and interest:
But perhaps just as interesting, the legislation pending for both rare earth metals (to determine scarcity and supply constraint issues) as well as mining legislation to help address some of those constraints will be the most watched by some industry participants.
- Will New Mining Legislation Reduce Dependence on Foreign Minerals?
- Finally Congress Starts to Look at Rare Earths
We will continue to cover domestic policy issues as they relate to metal buying and metal producing organizations.