Before we head into the weekend, let’s take a look back at the week’s news and some of the metals storylines here on MetalMiner: Aluminum prices reach 10-year high while a coup in Guinea threatens to disrupt global bauxite supply, China-Australia iron ore trade surges ahead despite ongoing tensions; and see MetalMiner’s analyst-driven Monthly Metals Index updates for aluminum, raw steels, copper, stainless.
Each month, MetalMiner hosts a webinar on a specific metals topic. Explore the upcoming webinars and sign up for each on the MetalMiner Events page.
News for the Week of Sept. 7-10
- Our Aluminum Monthly Metals Index (MMI) report from Analyst Maria Rosa Gobitz shows rising aluminum prices reaching highs not seen since 2011.
- Meanwhile, MetalMiner’s Stuart Burns discusses the outlook for aluminum prices in a green future.
- Sweden’s SSAB has announced plans to collaborate with two automotive groups on the potential supply of fossil-free steel, MetalMiner’s Christopher Rivituso reports.
- MetalMiner’s Sohrab Darabshaw reports on the state of the iron ore trade between China and Australia amid ongoing diplomatic tensions.
- Steel capacity utilization declines to 84.5% while U.S. construction-sector jobs decline from July to August, MetalMiner Editor Fouad Egbaria reports.
- Copper prices trend downward despite hurdles in Chile, Analyst Maria Rosa Gobitz explains in this month’s Copper MMI.
- Meanwhile, in this month’s Raw Steels MMI, the index drops after a 14-month climb while a merger between Chinese steelmakers Ansteel Group and Ben Gang set to form the world’s third-largest steelmaker.
- The Stainless Monthly Metals Index remained flat while both NAS and Outokumpo announce price increases, Maria Rosa Gobitz explains.
- A coup in Guinea threatens to disrupt global bauxite supply as aluminum prices reach 10-year high.
- Lastly, in a bid to aid domestic refiners amid steep energy costs, China announced plans to release and auction crude oil from its strategic reserves.
All the metals intelligence you need in one user-friendly platform with unlimited usage. Request a MetalMiner Insights platform demo.