Before we head into the weekend, let’s take a look back at the week that was and the metals storylines here on MetalMiner:
This morning in metals news, Cleveland-Cliffs announced plans to increase its flat-rolled steel prices, China’s copper inventories have declined and the iron ore price moved up near $100 per ton Thursday.
Once, it used to be a major supplier of steel for most of India’s domestic consumers.
But with COVID-19 and its subsequent lockdowns and the almost overnight disappearance of the steel market, the public company Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) finds itself painted into a corner.
Nickel prices have seen support in recent months more from supply-side concerns.
Initially, support came from bringing forward of Indonesia’s raw material export ban. More recently, support came from concerns the coronavirus pandemic would shut down mines in the Philippines and Indonesia, in addition to disruption of shipping to top consumer China.
Before we head into the weekend, let’s take a look back at the week that was and the metals storylines here on MetalMiner, including coverage of: copper prices, the automotive sector’s push to restart production, oil prices and more.
- ArcelorMittal reported its Q1 2020 earnings.
- MetalMiner’s Stuart Burns on the U.S.’s aluminum tariff system.
- Copper prices made some gains in April.
- Updates on the steel sector.
- Don’t expect oil prices to recover to pre-coronavirus levels anytime soon.
- Burns on going “back to work” in the U.K.
- The Stainless MMI ticked up 4.8% this month.
- First Cobalt announced a positive feasibility study for a proposed cobalt refinery in North America.
- India’s steel sector is not happy about a rise in the country’s iron ore exports.
The Stainless Monthly Metals Index (MMI) rose 4.8% this month.
The Raw Steels Monthly Metals Index (MMI) held flat this month.
This morning in metals news, U.S. steel shipments fell in March, Chinese stainless steel futures surged to a nine-month high and BHP made its first yuan-denominated sale of iron ore to China’s Baosteel.
This morning in metals news, Novelis Inc. reported fiscal year 2020 net income fell 3%, ArcelorMittal has opted to suspend dividend payments and Barrick Gold has benefited from the gold price’s rise this year.
This morning in metals news, Reuters reports the Trump administration plans to unveil plans that will outline a legal framework for mining on the moon, Norsk Hydro recently released its first-quarter results and Chinese iron ore futures made gains Wednesday.